How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love Eberron
Notable terms and conventions
In Khorvaire, coppers are called “crowns,” silver pieces are called “sovereigns,” gold coins are called “galifars,” and platinum pieces are called “dragons”.
- In historical records, years in Khorvaire are based on the establishment of the Empire of Galifar, 998 years ago (present day being 998 YK). Anything before that is denoted with a negative number (the War of the Mark in -500 YK).
- In Adar, the years are based around the arrival of Taratai and her quori brethren, in -802 YK (so the current year is 1800 AT). In Riedra, the establishment of the Inspired’s rule is the basis, dating back to -302 YK (so the current year is 1300 Unity).
- Riedra has no monthly or weekly calendar, relying on season changes, while Adar has recently instituted a monthly calendar.
The year is divided into 12 months, each 28 days, each associated with a moon, in the following order:
- Zarantyr: Associated with the Mark of Storm
- 13-Revelation Day: A sacred day when Vol Seekers go on vision quests.
- Olarune: Associated with the Mark of Sentinel
- 18-Bright Souls’ Day: A Silver Flame holiday commemorating the fallen.
- 20-Day of Mourning: A solemn anniversary of the Mourning.
- Therendor: Associated with the Mark of Healing
- 5-Tirasday: The birthday of the Flame’s first Keeper, Tira Miron.
- 15-Sun’s Blessing: Dol Arrah’s sacred day, traditionally a day of peace.
- Eyre: Associated with the Mark of Making
- Dravago: Associated with the Mark of Handling
- 26-Aureon’s Crown: This holiday centers around Aureon and the pursuit of knowledge, often accompanied by tournaments of wit and knowledge.
- 28-Promisetide: Faithful of the Silver Flame mark this holiday as the first day of spring and a metaphor for the renewal of their promised paradise.
- Nymm: Associated with the Mark of Hospitality
- Lharvion: Associated with the Mark of Detection
- 14-Silvertide: A day set aside to appreciate the sacrifice eons ago of the couatl during the Age of Demons.
- 15-Reachrace: This day marks the opening of a week of athletic competitions among shifter communities, most notably in the Eldeen Reaches.
- 23-Race of the Eight Winds: Sharn’s incredibly popular airborn race around the city, with representatives from eight districts.
- Barrakas: Associated with the Mark of Finding
- Rhaan: Associated with the Mark of Scribing
- 9-Boldrei’s Feast: This holiday of feast and galas celebrates Boldrei.
- Sypheros: Associated with the Mark of Shadow
- 1-Ascension: The anniversary of Tira Miron’s sacrifice for the Silver Flame.
- 16-Wildnight: A holiday in honor of the Fury, including bacchanalia and sometimes live sacrifices.
- Aryth: Associated with the Mark of Passage
- 11-Thronehold: The day the Treaty of Thronehold was signed.
- 24-Rampartide: Flame devotees take this day to atone for any sins during the year.
- Vult: Associated with the Mark of Warding
- 21-Khybersef: This Silver Flame holiday draws attention to the evil in the world, asking the faithful to steel themselves against it.
- 26-Long Shadows: The Shadow’s three day feast ends the year, and is notably a dangerous time for non-violent creatures.
The week is divided into seven days, with the following names: